Contact information

100 Gold Street
Suite 4800
New York, NY 10038





Peck Slip Station
PO Box 1018
New York, New York


This agency administers the New York City Collective Bargaining Law (NYCCBL) only.  We cannot resolve all employment issues.

If you are an individual filing a claim on your own behalf, please call or write the OCB Pro Se Officer at 212-306-7160 or The Pro Se Officer will provide you with information that will assist you in determining if your claim can be resolved at OCB.

If you are an attorney or representative, you can file by clicking the E-File button here.

If you are an individual filing a claim on your own behalf and have communicated with the OCB Pro Se Officer, please see below.

1.  Do you work for a city agency covered by our law?

Click here for a list of city agencies covered by the NYCCBL.

If you work(ed) for a city agency that is covered by the NYCCBL, go to Question 2.

Employees working for the following New York City public employers cannot file with OCB: the NYC Department of Education, the NYC Transit Authority, the Metropolitan Transit Authority and the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey. For helpful links to other agencies, click here.

2. Can OCB resolve your complaint?

What is an Improper Practice?

Only certain actions by an employer(s) and/or union(s) are improper practices. An improper practice is defined by the NYCCBL. For example, it is an improper practice for an employer covered by the NYCCBL (or its agents) to discriminate or retaliate against an employee because they participate in union activity. In addition, it is an improper practice for a union to fail to fairly represent employees in its bargaining unit. Not every action by an employer and/or union is an improper practice! In order to fully understand the types of activity protected by the NYCCBL, click here to refer to the NYCCBL statute and here for the cases that interpret the law.

Under the NYCCBL, what qualifies as discrimination and retaliation may be different than some other local, state and federal non-discrimination laws. The practices or conduct that the NYCCBL prohibits is limited and does not include all complaints against employers or unions.

What is a representation petition?

Employees who work for an employer covered by the NYCCBL can file representation petitions with OCB to request representation by a labor union, or to change or eliminate the union that represents a bargaining unit. Petitions can also be filed by unions and employers to create, modify or decertify a bargaining unit. Click here for a description of various types of petitions. Many representation petitions must be filed within a limited period of time and may require the support of a number of employees.

For more information on whether a representation petition can be filed and/or how to properly file a representation petition with OCB refer to the Guide for Representation Petitions, or call or write the Director of Representation at 212-306-7160 or

If you have communicated with an OCB Pro Se Officer and read the information above and decided your claim is appropriate to file Click Here.